Discover more about the library media specialist certificate
- You can complete this certificate in one year (two semesters). All courses are 100% online.
- Gain the strong literacy and technology skills every teacher needs.
- You can use your credits (courses) from this certificate toward a master’s degree in educational technology.
- Fully certified teachers seeking this certificate will be required to pass the Missouri Content Assessments (MoCA) test as well.
- This certificate is a Missouri State University certificate and does not meet the State of Missouri certification requirements for teaching.
Certificate in Library Media Specialist
Crystal Dicke, Graduate Program Coordinator
Meyer Library, Room 110E; Phone 417-836-4345
The Graduate Certificate in Library Media Specialist provides a 12-hour graduate-level experience that will prepare fully certified teachers with the skills and knowledge required to be an effective Library Media Specialist. The certificate curriculum provides preparation in the areas of information management, organization of information, administrative leadership, program development, personnel and resources management, and assessment of youth-centered library programs and services. Fully certified teachers seeking library media specialist certification will be required to pass the state assessment in addition to these four DESE required courses. This certificate is a Missouri State University certificate and does not meet the State of Missouri certification requirements for teaching.
To be considered for the program, a prospective student must meet the admission requirements for a Graduate Certificate at Missouri State University.
Required courses (12 hrs)
|Course Code||Course Title||Credit Hours|
|LIS 700||Foundations of Library and Information Science||3 hrs|
|LIS 702||Organization of Information||3 hrs|
|LIS 704||Administration and Leadership of Library Programs||3 hrs|
|LIS 706||Collection Development for Libraries Serving Children and Youth||3 hrs|